I mean. I love pastries. They are glorious. Scones, croissants, muffins...and any of those ridiculous new hybrids like cruffins and dangels (danish + bagel, come on people). Unfortunately, most of these tasty treats are loaded with sugar, fat and calories. Wahhh.
But don't despair...all is not lost. Back away from La Boulange and head back to your kitchen. Muffins minus the muffin top do exist! And they're really not that hard to make. These Paleo breakfast muffins are gluten-free, dairy-free, low in sugar and packed with protein to keep you fuller longer. Toast 'em up, smear with almond butter, top with raisins and you’re in business.
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 mashed banana
- 1 single-serving applesauce cup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbs maple syrup or honey
- Dash of vanilla extract
- Handful blueberries
- Handful chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix together all ingredients except berries and nuts until batter is smooth, not lumpy.
- Fold in blueberries and walnuts.
- Spray muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or line with baking cups.
- Scoop in batter, filling tins about ¾ of the way.
- Cook at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Makes 12.